Blog has moved, redirecting to new blog...

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rodeo in Gunlock


To some, St. George is a blink city.  If you blink long enough you might miss it as you drive I-15.  

Well, we actually live in Santa Clara--a suburb of St. George.  It's once of those small cities that still has farms, orchards, ranchers and farmers.  Our main street is composed of mom and pop shops like the "Pink House" bakery, Frei's fresh fruit stand, and a sweet french boutique. In Santa Clara the air is crystal clear, the stars shine at night, and if you listen closely you can sometimes even hear the coyotes at night.

About 20 minutes down the road is the even smaller town of Gunlock.  According to the 2000 Censes information the town has a population of 253.  The average house hold size is 3.12 and the median age is 27.  Since 1945 the Gunlock rodeo has been a part of the city tradition, and this rodeo is the real McCoy.  The rodeo brings together the community and gives folks the opportunity to show off skills they use on the ranch, like calf roping.  

Going to a rodeo once every 10 years is enough for me but if I really wanted to fit in I would...


wear my boots, hat, and bring my own lasso...


go to Gunlock, a city established in 1857,...


pack my horse trailer... 


have my boys wear their cowboy best (wranglers skinny jeans a must)...


watch my friends compete in timed skill competition...


curl my girls hair...


saddle up my favorite horse...


caution my daughter that the rodeo is about the skills, not cowboy watching...


caution my sons to watch out for daisy duke-wearing cowgirls...


back my trailer (or truck) to the rodeo and use it as home base--set up with chairs and coolers...


wear my most festive attire...


occasionally watch the action up close through the railings...




get excited about the chicken catching competition...



and be happy for the kids that actually caught one of the chickens.



The Gunlock rodeo is a small-town tradition that showcases the best in cowboy living.  While it may not be my tradition, I know it means a lot to lots of folks.  In fact, David told me that his Uncle Arlene (Grandma Judd's oldest son) was a really good roper and won lots of competitions.  He still ranches in Coalville.  So I guess in some way, a trip to the rodeo helps our children link to their heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment