Blog has moved, redirecting to new blog...

Friday, February 22, 2013

Computer Corruption and Oliver's therapy

According to the technician at the computer store, my computer most likely has a "corruption" which is impeding my ability to upload, sort, and use any photos.  The solution is to transfer photos from the last six years, re-organize them, and start over.  It's kind of a daunting task. Maybe its like moving...a great opportunity to de-junk?

In the meantime, I've hijacked David's computer at 3am in the morning when I can't sleep.

This week I had planned to talk about the marvelous Meyer wedding from last weekend and what we did over the President's Day holiday while David was out of town at another trade show.
I'll give you a hint: it involves a gold medal. How's that for a teaser?

Until I can get access to those photos, though, I thought I'd share some thoughts about Oliver's therapy.
Last night I visited with a friend who's young son's recent diagnosis puts him on the Autism Spectrum. It's always sobering to hear that news.  It takes me right back to when we first learned about Jacob's condition, and the moment when we learned that Oliver would face the same struggles.  It can all be so overwhelming.

She and I talked about therapy and I told her we were squeezing in home visits five times a month: occupational therapy twice, physical therapy twice, and a visit from our service coordinator who takes periodic assessments and helps us with the overall picture.  It's a great blessing to receive these services, even if it feels like any free time is filled with therapy.


My friend told me that in California she receives services for 2 1/2 hours EACH DAY Monday through Friday and then she does speech on Saturday.  I couldn't believe it! 
Every child is different and every child's needs are different.  I don't pretend to know the specifics of her situation.  What I do know is something of the overwhelming feeling of 'how am I going to fit this all in?'.  I want the best for my child.  We all do.  I am grateful for these services. They make an incredible difference in the lives of my children.  Still, it is an adjustment when I realize that these children will need more attention than, perhaps, my other children at this age.  Also, it's a lot to process when I realize that this is only the beginning of a lifetime of adjustments.  

I gave my friend a big hug.  I want her to feel that, to some degree, I get it.  It's a club I don't like to be in, but I have been blessed by others who share their experiences, and I am happy to share all that I know.   Amidst the struggles, there are some beautiful moments.  I try to imagine my child as God would see them--to really look into their soul and see the amazing individuals that they are.  We are dual beings with both a physical and a spiritual body.  My job as a parent is to help my children develop both.  Even if the physical body is limited, I still have an obligation to teach them spiritually.


 These are photos from Oliver's therapy last week.  We are working on holding two objects at a time; a process that helps brain development.  We are also working at putting an object "in".  Oliver's play is much more purpose based than before.  In this last photo you can see him getting ready to walk.  He's so close!  He scoots around the furniture and even suspends his weight and transfers to another piece of furniture.  I am thrilled with his progress. Jacob didn't walk until he was 3 and that was after lots of therapy and foot braces.  I am so hopeful for Oliver.  I am also hopeful for my friend.  She is facing a whole new world.  I pray for her and for any Mom or parent as they begin this long quest of raising a special child with special needs.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little boy. Early therapy can do so much good. You might want to share this blogpost from a dear friend of mine with your friend:

    http://dandelionmama.com/2013/02/06/autism-hope/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah! Thanks so much for this reference. I can't wait to read it. What a blessing it it to have mother's willing to share their experiences. Thank you.

      Delete