Blog has moved, redirecting to new blog...

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When it rains, it pours!

 Yesterday my carpet was reinstalled as a result of recent flooding.
Today, my backyard neighbors' homes were completely flooded when a local dike broke sending a river of water through their homes. 





I can't downplay how scary it was to have a fire truck blaring down my street announcing "You need to evacuate immediately by order of the Santa Clara fire department!". Then a fire fighter knocks on my door and says the local dike will likely break and we are in the flood zone.

A million things raced through my head.
What do I grab?
Where are the kids?
How long will we be gone?
What is irreplaceable?

I loaded up the motor home with
1. Oliver
2. pictures/albums 
3. my computer
4. diapers, wipes, formula & bottles
5. Jacob's blanket and ipad
 6. water

We really had no idea how long we would be away or what our home would be like when we returned.  What an adrenaline-pumping experience.


My neighbor, Willy Camp, took some amazing video from the roof of his Aunt and Uncle's house just one cu-de-sac down from us.  It shows the flood waters raging into people's houses.  The water was so fast and strong that it moved cars and motorhomes!!
(I can't get the video to play, but it is linked on my Fb if you are interested)


The entire community came to the rescue of our poor neighbors.  One account said there were 300 people helping to drain water, move furniture, and start sweeping up the mud.

For those of you who have been to our little town, this picture below might make more sense.  This is the local gas station right by our house.  The red, muddy water ran right through it! 

 Below is a picture of the baseball fields right below the dike.
 
Our hearts go out to our neighbors.  This will be a long recover process.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Megan! What a rush of feelings to experience in such a short amount of time. I am glad that you and your family are safe. Such a sad event to witness. We'll be praying for you and the people of Santa Clara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH megan!!! I got the CHILLS!!!
    How on earth did your home escape such a catastrophe!!!?!?! I guess the Lord has your mental health in mind!!! ;)
    Love you m'dear! SO SO glad you are ok. Our prayers are with you all!!

    ReplyDelete