Blog has moved, redirecting to new blog...

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Time Out For Women


Shortly after I moved to St. George, Samantha and I planned a Girls Weekend where she would fly down here and, together, we would attend Deseret Book's Time Out For Women. It is a terrific event. We heard from almost a dozen authors and artists who shared their inspiring stories. We left uplifted and renewed. It was so fun to be with Sam and to be edified by the presenters.


One of the highlights for me was hearing from Jenny Oaks Baker. She is a master of the violin. She showcased some song from her new CD which is a compilation of Disney favorites. She and I first met in Jerusalem 14 years ago. She played so beautifully then, and has only gotten better. After completing her Masters at Julliard she has toured to places around the globe and has 7 CDs out. She was also First Chair for the US National Symphony in Washington D.C. before retiring to dedicate more time to her four children. It was a real treat to see her perform and to talk briefly with her afterwards.


Sam and I enjoyed every minute together. I may talk to her multiple times a week, but it is not the same as being in the same space together. We treated ourselves to some fun eateries in town and did our best to get caught up on our individual lives.


Another treat was running into MINDY!
She was there with the Coldwell Clan and it was so fun to reconnect with her.

I wish it were possible to share the notes I took from each speaker. They were all unique and had their individual presenting style. Hillary Weeks was another favorite. She is fabulous in "concert". She's witty, funny, and has a great way of sharing how Heavenly Father works in her life. One of the aspects of the event that really inspired me was hearing the stories of these accomplished women who are equally dedicated to their families. I left recommitted to doing my best and to better heading the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It was one of those experiences that fills your reservoir of faith.
Thank you, Sam, for making the effort to come.
Thank you, David, for making it possible for me to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment